Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Easy Keeper


In a recent Kit Pharo newsletter, there was an engaging discussion on the relevance of feedlot feed efficiency for cow-calf producers who rely on grass. The general consensus was that feedlot feed efficiency did not have much relevance, and actually may negatively impact the cow-calf producer. Rather than feed efficiency, the discussion included descriptors such as ‘easy-fleshing’, ‘easy keeping’, and ‘low-energy maintenance requirements’ as cattle traits that will increase the net profit for cow-calf producers.

General I agree with the above assessment for cow-calf producers. However, for the grass-finisher and the grazing dairy, I think the discussion becomes more complicated. Animals need both increased feed efficiency to increase production (Average Daily Gain, or milk production), and also easy keeper traits ensuring that animals have low-energy maintenance requirements. I do think the latter trait is the number one trait for all grazers, regardless of production type. Low-energy maintenance requirements ensure the grazing animal’s ability to thrive through the constantly varying conditions of pastures. This trait also guarantees the animal will not spend the day grazing just to maintain body condition, but can spend more time allocating nutrients for producing the product that will put money in our pockets.

I would be more comfortable aligning myself with the cattle industry (dairy and beef), if the industry would put low-energy maintenance requirement traits ahead of selecting for high production and feed efficiency traits. Cheap grain prices have largely been blamed for driving the emphasis on high production. However, as the discussion in Kit Pharo’s newsletter eludes to, buying into the high efficiency, high production traits is more likely to put money into the pockets of the agricultural industry’s pockets and not into the individual producer’s pocket. The conventional ag industry has not promoted ‘easy keeper’ traits, because these traits put money primarily in the pockets of the producer.

All too often farmers and ranchers primary source of information for making management decisions are the seed salesman, the semen salesman, and the feed salesman. The companies these salesmen represent are primarily seeking to line their pockets at the expense of the farmer. As Ian Mitchell-Inns (Savory Center – Holistic Management) concluded in Kit Pharo’s discussion, “You and only you are responsible and accountable for your decisions! If you allow others (feeder, packer, feed salesman, etc.) to make your decisions for you, do not think that they are not going to help themselves to all they can get! That’s human nature.



1 comment:

  1. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete